I don’t know about you, but little facts and trivia about artists make them seem more human to me. Here are some interesting things I have found while scouring the interwebs.
- DaVinci became a vegetarian for moral reasons. He even bought caged birds at outdoor markets and set them free.
- Caravaggio murdered a man, fled Rome and eventually ended up in Malta, where he was knighted.
- The Pieta is the only work Michelangelo ever signed. While delivering it, he overheard someone remark that he couldn’t have done that – he was too young. He went back that night and signed it. He was 23 at the time.
- Rembrandt filed for bankruptcy.
- Picasso had his first art show at age 13 – showing paintings in the back of an umbrella store. In his 90th year, he produced 200 paintings.
- Duchamp deliberately accumulated dust to use in his artwork. He also perfected a system of winning at roulette and was on the French team at the International Chess Olympiads. He eventually married Matisse’s ex-wife.
- Matisse’s painting LeBateau hung upside down for 46 days at the Museum of Modern Art in New York.
- Paul Gaugin worked on the Panama Canal.
- Rodin died of frostbite.
- George Braque was the first living artist to be exhibited at The Louvre.
- There is a silhouette or a self-portrait of Dali in all his paintings.
- It is said Da Vinci invented high heels.
Anything you want to add?